As many of you might know, the chapter titles from both Hold Me Closer, Necromancer and now Necromancing the Stone, come directly from song titles or lyrics. This makes constructing a playlist for the book quite easy, but it also makes me realize that I have a lot of chapters. Hm. Perhaps I should have done this sooner…
Anyway, below I’ve listed the chapter titles from Necromancing the Stone along with the name of the performers and, in some cases, which versions I prefer. I enjoy a wide range of music and I think this list shows that. Hope you like it! (I have left them as they are for the chapters, so some are the actual song title while others are snippets of lyrics. Hope that’s not confusing!)
1) Welcome to My World– Nerf Herder. I think this song–and this band in general–with its geeky, sweet outlook and pop culture references, fits Sam perfectly.
2) Come on-a My House, My House, I’m Gonna Give You Candy– Rosemary Clooney. My old roommate used to have this on vinyl and we’d dance around to it while we got ready to go out sometimes. I love the oddness of this song and I’m glad I got to include it.
3) Hello Darkness My Old Friend– Simon and Garfunklel. There was a Paul Simon song in the last book. Clearly, I like the man.
4) Our House, Was Our Castle and Our Keep– Madness. Man, I love Madness.
5) Let’s Get Together and Feel All Right– Bob Marley
6) Every Time it Rains, it Rains Pennies From Heaven– Everyone has recorded a version of this song. Everyone. My favorite, though, is the Louis Prima version. It’s just so upbeat. I love it. Plus I’m pretty sure they yell “macaroni” at some point, and I’ve always wondered why.
7) Smoke On the Water– Deep Purple
8) Slow Ride– Foghat
9) Another One Bite the Dust– Queen. ‘Nuff said.
10) Soul Doubt– NOFX. I’m a big fan of pop punk, and NOFX in particular. I love that they can talk about politics, social issues, racial issues, and reference Zaphod Beeblebrox all on the same album.
11) Even Hitler Had a Girlfriend– Mr. T Experience. Still one of the best band names out there. Plus the singer (Doctor Frank) wrote a kid’s book. You should check it out.
12) No More Mr. Nice Guy– There is something so…awesome about Alice Cooper. Is it that he wears makeup, a lot of black, and golfs? Perhaps. I do love people that challenge social norms. Goth, metal, awesome, funny, and good at golf. Mr. Cooper, you are a Renaissance Man.
13) Summertime, and the Living is Easy– from Porgy & Bess. Though I think I love Sam Cooke’s version best (mostly because I love Sam Cooke) I also enjoy the Me First and the Gimmie Gimmie’s cover of this song. And the Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, and Louis Armstong versions…you know what? It’s just a good song.
14) Turn and Face the Strange (Ch-ch-changes)– Even pure evil loves David Bowie.
15) Take it easy, Don’t Let the Sound of Your Own Wheels Make You Crazy– The Eagles
16) I Remember You– Ah, Skid Row, you brought us such glorious hair metal.
17) Hello, is it Me You’re Looking For?– You have to love any list that goes from Skid Row to Lionel Richie.
18) Mr. Sandman, Bring Me a Dream– This song was originally sung by the Chordettes, but I also like the version Pomplamoose sings. This song also makes a great cameo in the movie Cry Baby.
19) Our House, is a Very, Very, Very Fine House– Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.
20) I Feel the Earth Move Under my Feet– Carole King
21) I Got Cat Class and I Got Cat Style– The Stray Cats
22) Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car– Billy Ocean. I used to have to do a five minute run to this song in gym class in junior high. Always this song. No variation. To this day when I hear it I break into a sweat and my sides hurt.
23) San Dimas High School Football Rules– The Ataris. Not only did I like this song a lot, but it’s also a reference to Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure, which has a lot of meaning for one of my characters…
24) I’m a Soul Man– Sam & Dave, though this song also has a lot of great versions.
25) Stand By Your Man– Tammy Wynette, though the Blues Brothers did a great cover of this in the movie…
26) I Hear You Knockin’, But You Can’t Come In– Fats Domino originally performed this song and I love it, but I also enjoy the version that Dave Edmunds did.
27) Love is a Battlefield– Pat Benatar. I still remember this music video. So much spandex and 80’s eyeshadow…a dance fight…I love it so much.
28) Your Turquoise and Silver Won’t Weaken this Old Heart– Cake. I like this song because turquoise and silver come up a lot it mythology, and some of the lines really remind my of Douglas. Take a listen to the song “Pentagram” and I think you’ll see why.
29) Take Me Home Tonight– Eddie Money
30) Papa Don’t Preach– Madonna
31) We Are Family– Sister Sledge
32) I Never Promised You a Rose Garden– Lynn Anderson, though I quite like the version by the Suicide Machines.
And there you go! A very lengthy playlist!
Ok, so I have a few ways you could listen to the WHOLE playlist: YouTube, Spotify, and Grooveshark, which I’ll embed below!
Get the Scoop on all Fierce Reads!
—Lish McBride is part of our Fall 2012 Fierce Reads campaign and she will be going on a multi-city and multi-author tour this month, 9/18 thru 9/23. Details can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/FierceReads/events
—Check out the new Fall Fierce Reads trailer which Necromancing the Stone is included in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiSWgzz9dJU
—A chapter excerpt of Necromancing the Stone can be read on the Fierce Reads Fan Page: https://apps.facebook.com/fiercereads/Exclusives
—A free Fall 2012 Fierce Reads chapter sampler for e-readers is available for download, which includes Necromancing the Stone: http://us.macmillan.com/fiercereadsfall2012chaptersampler/GenniferAlbin
—Last year, Lish McBride wrote a free e-short story, entitled Necromancer: http://us.macmillan.com/necromancer-1/LishMcBride
—Lish McBride’s Twitter: https://twitter.com/TeamDamnation
—Lish McBride’s Facebook Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lish-McBride/164438753667937
Check out the other stops on the tour!
Monday 9/17 http://www.laurasreviewbookshelf.com/
Tuesday 9/18 http://janasbooklist.blogspot.com/
Wednesday 9/19 http://www.sithereandread.com/
Thursday 9/20 http://www.kidlitfrenzy.com/
Friday 9/21 http://www.gonewiththewords.com/