I picked this topic because I get asked for audiobook recommendations from time to time. The reason the topic is narrator specific, and not audiobook specific, is because there are certain narrators who’ve read several books I loved.
This list only includes narrators I’ve listened to (obviously), so if you have favorites that you want to suggest, feel free to give their names/books in the comments section! Or if you just want to agree with some of mine, that too. :)
Each of their names will be linked to their page on Audible.com, where you’ll be able to see the books they’ve narrated.
1. Dan Bittner – Dan’s voice was once describe by Maggie Stiefvater as “sex on a stick.” I could not agree with her more. His most notable performances for me are those of Cole from Maggie’s Wolves of Mercy Falls series, and, my favorite, Adam of Where She Went by Gayle Forman.
2. Khristine Hvam – Ms. Hvam is one exceptional narrator. Her characterizations are to die for!! She never disappoints. Some of my favorites from here are Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor, The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa, Frostbite & Shadow Kiss by Richelle Mead (don’t know why just those two :(), and Shade series by Jeri Smith-Ready.
3. Julia Whelan – Julia has narrated some popular books, like Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, but the ones I’ve listed to are The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson, and the Need series by Carrie Jones. Check out the many more books she’s narrated!
4. Nick Landrum – Nick reads books two through five of the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr. He is exceptional. Love him.
5. Elisabeth Rodgers – Elisabeth won me over with her characterization of the Georgina Kincaid/Succubus Blues series by Richelle Mead. She just captures the tone I imagined for the whole series, from characters to setting to plot.
6. Jim Frangione – Jim reads some of my favorite romance novels, including The Black Dagger Brotherhood by J.R. Ward, and the Men Who Walk the Edge of Honor series by Lori Foster. I think he should read most romance novels in my opinion. :)
7. Jesse Eisenberg – Jesse hasn’t narrated many books, but he does narrate Holly Black’s White Cat series and he does it incredibly well. Love it!
8. Caitlin Greer – Caitlin needs more narrating gigs because she is SUPER! I was really impressed with her work on What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell, and I really like her on the Hush, hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick.
9. James Langton – I’ve only listened to two books narrated by James, but I thought he was so good. He reads Sarah Rees Brennan’s Demon Lexicon series, except I don’t know if we’ll ever get the third book in the series on audio. :( That is a true tragedy. It does look like he has a big body of work though, and I bet they’re all just as great.
10. Eileen Stevens – I really love Eileen’s narrations on both The Body Finder series by Kimberly Derting and The Dark Divine series by Bree Despain. She also has a big body of work and I plan to get more books narrated by her soon. :)