Welcome to my end of year survey!!
2018 was a good reading year compared to abysmal 2017. While I didn’t read as many books as in previous years, I was still very proud to have completed my reading challenge of 25 books. (EDIT: It turns out 2018 was a lie and one of the books I read was listed twice, so I actually only read 24!! *cries*) Because it’s only 24 books, I’ll try not to be too repetitive, but if it is I’m sorry, but thank you for reading anyway! Ok, here we go!
2018 Reading Stats
Number Of Books You Read: 24
Number of Re-Reads: 1
Genre You Read The Most From: Adult Fiction
1. Best Book You Read In 2018?
YA: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Good Luck with That by Kristan Higgins – I liked it, I just didn’t LOVE it.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
Wonder Woman: Warbringer by Leigh Bardugo – I loved the Wonder Women movie but I wasn’t expecting this book to give me the same vibes but it totally did and it was awesome!
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng – One of my B&N coworkers even bought it for his mom just based on my rec!
5. Best series you started in 2018? Best Sequel of 2018? Best Series Ender of 2018?
Starter: To All the Boys I Loved Before by Jenny Han (trilogy counts as a series, right?)
Sequel: I didn’t read any sequels this year.
Ender: No series ender either.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2018?
Christina Lauren – Without question!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Check, Please!: #Hockey, Vol. 1 by Ngozi Ukazu – This is a graphic novel and I don’t read these all that much. This year I plan to change that though.
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
You by Caroline Kepnes – If you haven’t read this, you’re in for a disturbing yet unputdownable read.
9. Book You Read In 2018 That You Would Be MOST Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2018?
Josh and Hazel’s Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren
11. Most memorable character of 2018?
Lara Jean Covey from To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han – That sweet girl just stayed with me.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2018?
Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng – The storytelling was so compelling!
13. Most Thought-Provoking/Life-Changing Book of 2018?
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas – If you don’t get anything out of this book, you’re doing it wrong.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2018 to finally read?
Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn – This was her 2006 debut novel!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2018?
This romantic as hell passage from Roomies:
Calvin moves his gaze over my face–my forehead, cheeks, nose, mouth, chin, and last, my eyes–before slowly leaning forward and pressing his mouth to mine. “Okay.”
I smile quizzically once he’s pulled back. “Okay?”
“I can wait.”
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2018?
Longest: The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken – 499 pages
17. Book That Shocked You The Most:
Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn – If the end isn’t a shocker, I don’t know what is.
18. OTP OF THE YEAR:
Holland and Calvin from Roomies!!
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year:
Marley and Georgia from Good Luck with That by Kristan Higgins – They were friendship goals, for sure!
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2018 From An Author You’ve Read Previously:
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han – I read her Summer series some years back and LOVED it, so I’m happy this one was even better.
21. Best Book You Read In 2018 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure/Bookstagram, Etc.:
Josh and Hazel’s Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren and The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang- ALLLLL of my friends were talking about one or both of these books. Thanks, friends!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2018?
Calvin from Roomies – HANDS DOWN.
23. Best 2018 debut you read?
Check, Please!: #Hockey, Vol. 1 by Ngozi Ukazu – This graphic novel is so good!
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Batman: Nightwalker by Marie Lu – I don’t know if this counts since Marie didn’t create this world but she sure brought it to life so vividly in her story.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
Gmorning, Gnight!: Little Pep Talks for Me & You by Lin-Manuel Miranda – It’s really hard to not smile while reading this book. It was meant to do that.
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2018?
This one goes to Roomies – I was really invested in this relationship, so their problems were my problems! lol
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Check, Please!: #Hockey, Vol. 1 by Ngozi Ukazu – It’s just so sweet!
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken – THE ENDING! AMIRITE?!
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2018?
Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan – The audiobook was FANTASTIC and it explained a lot of the words and phrases I would have been clueless about had I only read it.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
You by Caroline Kepnes – YOU know why!
And that is the end of my 2018 Book Survey! If you read through all of these, thank you! I know it’s long! But for those TL;DR people, I read some good books last year.
Until next time!