2015 Reading Stats
Number Of Books You Read: 46 (See my Goodreads Year in Review)
Number of Re-Reads: 0
Genre You Read The Most From: Fantasy
Best in Books
1. Best Book You Read In 2015?
The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss – I’ll admit that it took me a little while to get into this story but once it got going I couldn’t stop thinking about it. Something about Kvothe just mesmerized me. This was the first book I read in 2015 and it’s probably one of the most I think back on fondly.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Red Queen (Red Queen #1) by Victoria Aveyard – I actually really did like this book, I rated it 4/5 but something about it felt all too familiar with other fantasy genres. I know being a lover of fantasy there will always be themes repeated, but I just couldn’t get over the fact that this story has been done so many times.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read?
The Martian by Andy Weir – I knew going into this that this was going to be all about science, and at times the science explanations were totally over my head but OMG the humor! It was the humor that did me in, it had me rolling! The protagonist of this novel was in a really shitty situation but the fact that he kept his sense of humor was shocking and a relief.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did)?
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline – I love, love, loved this book so hard! I know that it’s going to be a movie in 2017 so I tried to get everyone and anyone to read it. I would tell anyone about it that would lend an ear.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2015?
Patricia Briggs – What in the world took me so long?! Patricia Briggs is such a great writer and pens such fantastic series. Once I discovered her I went on a binge for like two months!
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins – I don’t normally read books in the mystery/suspense or psychological thriller categories but this one was getting a lot of attention and also because it will be a movie in 2016. I was glad I did, it was definitely a crazy and memorable ride!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins – I started this book and did not put it down until I finished it. Even when I was eating I had the book in front of me, it was just that enthralling! So many crazy twists!
9. Book You Read In 2015 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2015?
11. Most memorable character of 2015?
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2015?
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2015?
Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined (Twilight #5) by Stephenie Meyer – I wouldn’t necessarily call it life-changing but it was definitely thought-provoking in that I was challenged to revisit familiar characters but as a different gender. It wasn’t as easy as it seemed. I absolutely loved it though, and I loved Beau Swan.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2015 to finally read?
Moon Called (Mercy Thompson #1) by Patricia Briggs – I can’t believe it took me so long to get to this series. I have seen it on the shelves for many, many years and I don’t know why I never bought a copy. (Honestly, I think it was the covers that I just couldn’t get passed lol I wasn’t a fan.) I am so glad Jess convinced me to read this series!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2015?
“For all my talk of vows and honor, what I really want is to put you up against that wall and kiss you until you forget you ever knew another man’s name.” – Ruin and Rising (The Grisha #3) by Leigh Bardugo
16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2015?
17. Book That Shocked You The Most:
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (you will go down with this ship!):
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year:
Cather “Cath” Avery and Reagan, Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell – Cath is very much an introvert, and Reagan is a brash, in-your-face kinda girl. It was destiny that they got assigned as roommates. I loved how Reagan came in like a freight train and totally took Cath out of her comfort zone and into the real world. She stood up for her, always had her back and genuinely cared for her (though she’d never, ever say it). I believe it was Reagan’s friendship that was the most important relationship Cath made in college. (Though Levi was great too.)
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2015 From An Author You’ve Read Previously:
Life and Death: Twilight Reimagined (Twilight #5) by Stephenie Meyer – I absolutely fell in love with these characters again and OMG Beau was great. He turned out to be a lot more snarky and confident than Bella ever was and I totally loved him for it.
21. Best Book You Read In 2015 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
Moon Called (Mercy Thompson #1) by Patricia Briggs – I started reading the Alpha & Omega series because of a read-a-long which was a spin-off of this series that I didn’t know at the time. Jess convinced me to read this series and I was so glad she did! Mercy Thompson is a bad ass.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2015?
Levi Stewart, Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell – Levi is described as having a receding hairline, with a smile that never stops or ends. He was a total extrovert and the exact opposite of Cath. He doesn’t look like your typical male lead, he is just your average guy and it was a breath of fresh air!
23. Best 2015 debut you read?
24. Best Worldbuilding/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline – I loved that the majority of this book was spent in a virtual world and not in a real-world. Wade Watt’s actual world was a desolate one, much of the world’s resources had been depleted and it wasn’t a fun place. But then there was the OASIS which was an incredible simulated reality that you could easily escape to. Amazing!
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2015?
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
My Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga – The subject matter alone is soul crushing. Two teenagers make a suicide pact and then the countdown begins. Depression is a very real thing and Jasmine does an impressionable job of describing what it feels like. It was such a powerful story and I couldn’t help but feel some of the helplessness that Aysel and Roman felt.
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2015?
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Paper Towns by John Green – I didn’t hate this book but I just felt that the ending fell a little flat. It was probably the most realistic ending we could’ve gotten but I guess I was expecting more of an impact. And in the end, Margo Roth Spiegelman just managed to piss me off.
Your Blogging/Bookish Life
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2015?
Not Now… I’m Reading and made a new friend!! :)
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2015?
Alpha & Omega Series Review: Books 1 – 4 – I had never done a series review before and Jess suggested it since I was doing the read-a-long, I was so proud of it!
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
Top Ten Tuesday: Things I Dislike When It Comes To Romances In Books – OMG I had a blast writing this one. It got the best, and some of my favorite comments this year!
4. Best event that you participated in?
Patricia Briggs book signing at Murder By The Book – Eeek I discovered Patricia Briggs in 2015 and I got to meet her in 2015, what are the odds?!?!
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2015?
Participating in an Alpha & Omega Read-a-long hosted by Not Now… I’m Reading. I had so much fun and it was my first read-a-long!
6. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
Top Ten Tuesday: Books I Can’t Believe I Haven’t Read From Fantasy Genre – This post has the most comments and I was happy to find many others that hadn’t read some of the books I listed. It definitely made me feel better about missing out.
7. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
Alpha & Omega Series Review: Books 1 – 4 – I had such an awesome time reading this series and writing the review, I wish it had reached a few more people.
8. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Book Outlet – I discovered this website this year and I spent wayyy too much money on it. It is one of those “click at your own risk” websites. Such great bargains!!
9. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I didn’t make my original reading challenge of 60 books but I definitely did a lot better than last year. I did try and step outside of my comfort zone this year and I think I accomplished that. I also started reading mangas this year which I’ve been wanting to get into for a while.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2015 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2016?
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2016 (non-debut)?
3. 2016 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2016?
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2016?
I think I say this every year, I really want to post more reviews. It seems I have steadily increased my reviews every year, I just know I can do better. I also want to participate in more blog events.
6. A 2016 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone: N/A