Review: The Surrendered by Case Maynard

2016, Reviews, Reviews by Rubi

Review: The Surrendered by Case MaynardThe Surrendered by Case Maynard
Published by Blaze Publishing
Pub Date: September 20th 2016
Pages: 340
Format: eARC | Source: NetGalley
Genres: Dystopian, Young Adult
Buy the book! | Goodreads
5 Stars

After a financial collapse devastates the United States, the new government imposes a tax on the nation’s most valuable resource—the children.

Surrendered at age ten—after her parents could no longer afford her exorbitant fees—Vee Delancourt has spent six hard years at the Mills, alongside her twin, Oliver. With just a year to freedom, they do what they can to stay off the Master’s radar. But when Vee discovers unspeakable things happening to the younger girls in service, she has no choice but to take a stand—a decision that lands her on the run and outside the fence for the first time since the System robbed her of her liberty.

Vee knows the Master will stop at nothing to prove he holds ultimate authority over the Surrendered. But when he makes a threat that goes beyond what even she considers possible, she accepts the aid of an unlikely group of allies. Problem is, with opposing factions gunning for the one thing that might save them all, Vee must find a way to turn oppression and desperation into hope and determination—or risk failing all the children and the brother she left behind.

I have been on a serious contemporary binge for the last couple of months, so throwing in a dystopian, and a great one at that, was extremely refreshing! I kept picking up the book right before bedtime so it took me about 4 days to get just 10% in. Yesterday, I finally got some free time and I devoured the remaining 90% of the story!

Our main character, Vee, is a fireball and that caused for zero downtime. The Surrendered was action packed from start to finish and Case Maynard really did a great job at moving the story along. I’ll have to be honest, I didn’t go into this 340 page dystopian standalone expecting a whole lot. At most, I thought there may be a hitch or two in the plan to survive outside of the fence and that would be all. Boy was I wrong. Maynard made every single page count! She wasted no time on random story lines meant to only fluff up the book. Everything you read was something that would come to play at some point or another. To say I was impressed with the way it all wrapped up in the end is an understatement!

I think the author did a great job at explaining the world the characters are now living in. There were different jobs and titles and it was fairly easy to understand how the system worked. What I do think could’ve been done better is the description of the world itself. At times, it was hard to visualize the actual setting and I wouldn’t be able to draw a map of the town/city or what was located where. I would usually be peeved by this, but what lacked in world building was definitely made up for with the thought that went into each of the characters.

The Surrendered really made me feel. No joke: I was up at 3:30am crying, shocked, and feeling like my entire heart had been crushed into a million pieces. When Vee was hurt, I felt the pain. When she was loved, I felt the tug on my heart. When she was betrayed, I felt the betrayal! Major kudos to Case Maynard for taking risks that many other first time authors wouldn’t have! If you are looking for a quick dystopian that packs a punch, look no further and pick this one up today!

Review: The Lie Tree by Frances Hardinge
Contemporary Romance Challenge: October Link-Up

Rubi @ Gone with the Words

Rubi @ Gone with the Words

About Rubi @ Gone with the Words

Twitter | Goodreads | Instagram
Rubi is a Texas girl with a reading obsession & an endless desire to see the world! The majority of her time is spent trying to get to the bottom of her TBR list, scrolling through Pintrest trying to decide what city to visit next, or making her next cup of tea. Keep up with her through Twitter & Instagram to see what book she's got her nose in & what soil she's got her toes in today! ♥

Leave a Reply

Want to include a link to one of your blog posts below your comment? Enter your URL in the website field, then click the button below to get started.