I feel all the heroines in the books I read are some form of kick-ass. I mean, they have to be, right?! Otherwise their stories would have no point. The thing is, there’s different kinds of kick-ass. Some are kick-ass from the beginning, others become kick-ass throughout the course of their books. And I don’t only mean these gals are physically kick-ass, I also mean the ones that overcome real issues in their lives and come out with better understanding of themselves. They are kick-ass too.
For this list of kick-ass heroines though, I’m turning to the ones that kick actual butt and do it well. It was difficult narrowing down the list, and it’s definitely not a complete list, but here are ten that I love. So lets get started!
1. Elena Michaels (Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong) – Honestly, all the women in this series are kick-ass, but Elena came first. In Bitten, the book that started it all, she overcomes and puts aside so many things to come and help out the werewolf pack she never wants to be around again. She’s incredibly intelligent and confident, and her being a werewolf gives her extraordinary strength.
2. Katsa (Graceling by Kristin Cashore) – Katsa should definitely be on everyone’s list. And if she isn’t, it must be because you have read her story. Katsa is independent and she can beat up any single person, male or female, around.
3. Calla Tor (Nightshade series by Andrea Cremer) – Calla might not have the best track record of getting on everyone’s good side, I know some people can’t stand her, but she can kick some butt. There’s no denying that.
4. Cat (Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost) – Sometimes the kick-ass heroines need a little polish in their kicking-ass ways, and Cat was definitely one of these…but Bones helped her become one of the best ones on this list. :)
6. Aya (Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr) – Aya is kick-ass in that she wants to be more that the role she was born into. And ooooh, does she!! She’s such an incredible character that we have just scratched the surface of in this book.
7. Rose Hathaway (Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead) – It’s ROSE HATHAWAY! She was strong and incredible for six whole books! Sure, she had moments of doubt and weakness, but she was kick-ass even then.
9. Elena Deveraux (Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh) – Another Elena makes the list! (Sidenote: I have a best friend whose name is Elena and she also happens to be kick-ass :)) Not only is Elena good at taking down vampires who are out of control, she is consort to THE Archangel of New York. It takes a kick-ass woman to handle that.
10. Yelena (Study series by Maria V. Snyder) – Yelena is the definition of strength of character. For serious. And then she learns to fight and kicks all kinds of ass. If you haven’t read this series, you’re missing out.